Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter.
If you receive this error on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 while trying to connect with the Cisco VPN Client then the solution is a simple registry fix.
Check out this quick 3 minute video on how to fix. Prefer written instructions? They are right below the video.
- Click Start and type regedit in the Search field and hit enter.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesCVirtA
- Find the String Value called DisplayName
- Right click and select Modify from the context menu.
- In Value data, remove @oemX.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;. The Value data should only contain Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows.
- Click Ok.
- Close Registry Editor.
- Retry your Cisco VPN Client connection.